Thursday 24 July 2008

I thought I liked running into people...

... who I thought I'd left in my past.

But I'm starting to think that's not such a brilliant thing after all. Let me explain:

I was at the Tim Horton's just around the corner from my work and ran into a police officer. I looked at his face and realized that I knew him. I was friends with his brother when I was in high school. We had become really good friends over a period of time and seemed to enjoy each other's company a lot. Then one day, he mentioned that he thought a friend of mine was cute... someone who he hadn't spoken to... someone who used to make fun of him and his friends when we all waited for the bus to school. But, Cupid in me kicked in and I figured why not introduce them? So I did.

The girl was someone who was in my larger circle of friends... but I noticed that over the course of that summer, she too started getting close to me... but the common factor was, well, the guy. Being 17 and all, I didn't think much of it.

As the summer drew to a close, I realized that the two were getting closer and we in fact, dating... I remember thinking at one point that I should have considered a career in matchmaking, because this was the third couple that I'd managed to set up, successfully. (Go me...)

Anyway, as the days turned to weeks, the weeks to months, I noticed that these two people had gradually stopped talking to me. I wasn't sure why, at first... but I soon realized that they, like peas in a pod, had both gotten all they had wanted from my friendship... each other. I was simply the medium.

I haven't seen the guy in about seven years. The girl was in one of my classes in university ... but let's not talk about the servings of awkward sauce involved in that.

Fast-forward to 10:30a.m. this morning... I run in to the brother of the guy of topic (who is now a proud serving officer of Toronto's Law Enforcement, mind you). The brother is also a police officer.

And this is what he says to me:

Hey! Did you hear about X and Y? Yea, they're engaged now. Did you know that? They belong together, it's so cool how it all happened! They're searching for houses together...

... Did I hear? No. Was I supposed to hear?

Needless to say, I saw this coming. I knew it would happen eventually but I guess I never prepared myself for it. My automatic impulse was to run back up to the office and call someone and say, "Ohmigosh, did you know??" because she would probably appreciate this kind of news... But I didn't. I needed therapy... and I figured this was the best way to get just that.

I might delete this post if I read it again. Then again, maybe not.

I also wondered if I was perhaps missing something. Am I missing an element in my life that should make me want to have a marriage or a strong relationship before 25? Maybe it would be nice but... I wouldn't know where to fit a relationship into the roller coaster that is my life right now.

But the news did strike something. I just can't figure out what it is quite yet.

xo
SC

1 comment:

  1. you really should have called me :)
    luv you
    xoxoxo
    ps. you're not missing an element

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...