Sunday 26 July 2009

Walk for Thought

The Summer issue of Zoomer magazine had an article by Cecily Ross, where she reflected on how she always ends up walking when dealing with a case of writer's block. She said that some of the clearest ideas and verbal images come to her as she briskly walks the landscape surrounding her house in the burbs.

I couldn't agree more. I wonder if it's a trait that a lot of writers share.

For my fellow Torontonians, imagine this:
I walked from Queen and River to the Eaton Centre yesterday. Then, after a dinner with V, we walked all the way to Dufferin and King.

My feet chastised me for it today, but yesterday it was exactly what I needed.

I had some of the clearest thoughts in days during that walk. Mum says it's something that might run in the family. It turns out my brother walked the Yonge/Bloor line last year during the usual Toronto Transit strike. And now that I think about it, he had a lot of thoughts at that time too.

In fact, with all the thinking going on, I never realized how much I was moving.

It all makes sense though. Think of the number of times people have advised you to go for a walk to clear your head when you're upset.

I read another article that says London, England is one of the best cities in the world for those of us who like to travel by foot. No wonder some of Jane Austens best dialogues between her characters happened as they walked the English countryside.

Classic and timeless!

xo
SC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...