Saturday 11 July 2009

Hello, Short Curl!

I must have lost about 5 lbs today!

Around noon on Sunday I decided I needed to make a drastic change in my life. I was starting to get tired of feeling weighed down by all the stress I've been under lately, and wanted a fresh perspective. And for those of you who know me, you probably see where this is going.

The usual first victim in my attempt for catharsis was, you guessed it - my 'do!

That's right, folks... today at around 2:45 p.m. in the Eaton Centre, a wonderful stylist helped remove that which weighed me down for about two years now.

Ok, maybe I should back-track a bit.

I love my locks. I've come to love my curly hair in recent years, not because I like how it makes me look, but because it's a huge part of who I am.

People recognize me by my hair... and it's sort an extension of my personality: wild at times, free, unpredictable, yet, lovable? (maybe I'm pushing it, yea?)

In any case, some of you may know that I had been growing it out for some time... a long time, actually.

Yet each time I went in for a cut and was tempted to get the much desired bob (a la Carrie Bradshaw, SATC season 4/5), I was ALWAYS talked out of it. And with good reason. I'd dealt with the dreaded 'pyramid triangle look' before, and wasn't willing to go there again.

But, the weight!

One of the blessings and curses of being a child of post-colonialism: thick, kinky curls!

And though the curls were starting to loosen up with the length, it didn't help that they were weighing me down.

So, catharsis.

My locks that tumbled half way down my back have now been cut to shoulder length.... maybe slightly less. But the beauty in this... what makes it different from all the other cuts? TEXTURIZING!

The stylist removed bulk and weight from my hair by using a texturizing scissor to snip off pieces of hair, while still maintaining the style.

The result? A short bob that sits just above the shoulders. Something I haven't had since I was a young'un!

Who would have thought it would be that simple to lose 5 lbs?

Now, I'm weight-less and excuse-less: phase 2 of catharsis begins this week. I'm not sure what the next step is, but I know it will come to me.

xo
SC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...