Thursday, 20 August 2009

Seoul far


I never imagined losing a whole day on a flight across the world would take such a toll on my system. I've been in a haze... a constant state of complacence... I've been agreeing and nodding my head to every instruction thrown in my direction. My mom would be proud!

I woke up at 4:30 in the morning, wired and wide awake. I meant to wake up at 7 a.m. to go get my medical exam done at the hospital for 8. I guess the jet lag is taking it's toll. It was also boiling in my room at night - the AC was turned off automatically in the middle of the night, across the building. A good way to save energy... if it's not boiling in the building already. But I also think that's the jet lag talking.

I have a roommate, and we're staying in the dorms at the NIIED in Seoul. I'll be here for about nine days before heading out with my co-teacher to the apartment they've got lined up for me.

Entering Seoul was a bizarre experience. There's something to be said about being in a place where you don't recognize any of the signs... save for the little woman on the door, telling you it's the ladies room.

I bought a calling card while at the airport, and had to teach myself to use the payphone. Who knew that I had to hit the 'emergency' button on the phone, in order to use my calling card?

As I waited for the bus at the airport, I noticed a lot of young American guys mulling around the gate. Every so often an army guy would come in and yell for them to get on a bus. He would refer to them by their numbers. I guess they were all serving time on the American army base in Incheon.

The bus ride into Seoul from Incheon was interesting. It didn't feel like I was on the other side of the world... until I'd look out the window and see fields, water, and traffic that's somewhere in between the chaos of Goa and the organized mess in Toronto.

Generally speaking, people have been very nice and open. I've already had two people ask me if my naturally curly hair is a perm. I also think I bonded with one of the program workers, who was mock-timing me while I struggled to give them a urine sample at the hospital, this morning. Hey! I hadn't had anything to eat or drink in 12 hours. Give a girl a break.

Anyway, all in (less than) a day's work. I will have a post with photos soon. Until then, lots of love, from Seoul!


p.s. For all those of you wondering, Yes, I am loving the scenery at the NIIED dorms. :)


  1. I'm so excited for you!!!! I've got a big goofy grin on. See, I told you you needed to wear those curls! ;)
    You sound great! Keeping writing, Palina.

  2. Woah! Sounds like you have just begun an amazing adventure. I look forward to reading more about it and can't wait for the pictures.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...