Saturday 5 March 2011

Curious about castles

I have castles on the brain tonight. I've stepped into my fair share of Gothic buildings over time, but I've yet to set foot in castle. I guess it's one of the items on my bucket list, and I'd like to explore a few in my lifetime. I know of people who obsess over them and actually travel just to visit different ones all over the world.

Perhaps I've read too many Jane Austen novels, but I love the romance associated with castles. The idea that generations pass through one space, roaming the same grounds, sleeping on the same beds, under the same roof... it's all quite fascinating.

I'd love to start out in Europe -- specifically Scotland, and work my way through the rest of the United Kingdom. My friend B says her town of Pontefract has a castle in it as well, which would be nice to visit someday.


A few years ago, a friend travelled to Germany to visit his family. When he came back to Toronto, he brought me a souvenir -- a postcard picture of Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany (pictured above). The name literally translates to 'New Swan Stone' and it's located on this beautiful hillside in southwest Bavaria. The view of the castle (and I'm assuming from the castle as well) is simply stunning. I can't imagine how breathtaking it must be in real life.

Check out these 15 amazing castles from around the world for some lovely travel inspiration!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...