Here are 25 lessons I've learned in my 25 years on this planet. There's definitely a lot more than 25 overall (I hope), but these are the ones that stand out in the maze that is my mind, on this particular night.
1. Love (and lust) can make you do some pretty silly things.
2. Even when you think you've been dealt a bad hand, there's someone out there who has it a lot worse.
3. Telemarketers don't want to call you. They have to call you. So be kind, even if you're not interested in what they're selling.
4. Hope fuels humanity. This is a good thing. A very good thing.
5. Always keep an open mind. You will have the best experiences in your life if you do.
6. First impressions say a lot. Do give people a second chance, but never forget how you first felt around them.
7. The Blue Marble that we live on is fabulous! Take every opportunity to wander, seek and embrace all aspects of our gorgeous and giving planet.
8. Being alone is good. Silence is good. Learn to listen to yourself when you're alone and silent. You'll be surprised by what you discover.
9. Never settle for quantity over quality.
10. Be kind and forgiving. Mostly to yourself.
11. Express love in some form every day.
12. Life is short and unpredictable, so make the most of every day and learn to live without regrets.
13. Don't mess with karma. Even if you don't believe in it.
14. There's healing powers in the human touch. A simple look, hug or kiss can completely change one's perspective.
15. Language is only a barrier if you let it be. Even if you don't speak the same language, you can always find other ways to communicate.
16. Time is not linear. It's true that some days feel longer than others, and sometimes time seems to speed up. I can't prove this, but I believe it.
17. You have to take responsibility for your own actions in this lifetime.
18. If you intentionally set out to hurt others, you are not a good person. No matter how much you try to justify your actions.
19. It is important to believe in a higher power. There is no way we can marvel in the beauty that is our world without believing there is a force much greater than us at work.
20. Real life can't mimic the movies, but movies can mimic real life. You just have to remind yourself of this every time you get caught up in a chick-flick.
21. It's a sad truth, but there are more Daniel Cleavers, Wickhams and Mr. Collins' in this world than there are Mr. Darcys.
22. Nothing beats a glass of cold water on a hot summer day. Nothing beats a hot beverage on a chilly winter night.
23. Smile. Just smile.
24. Warm, fuzzy feelings that swell in the depths of your soul may not come by often in your life... so when they do, embrace them and make the best of them.
25. Mark Twain was on to something when he said the following:
"Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."xo
Image courtesy of Google Images