Wednesday 21 April 2010

Happy Rider

This morning, while riding the bus on the way to school, I must have seen one of the happiest guys that I've come across in a very long time.

The bus had pulled up to a stop-sign while going downhill, and a quick glance out the window showed me a young man riding a much-too-small-for-him bicycle, uphill. This might not seem like such a big deal, aside from the fact that he didn't look like he was seeking breath, or that he was even grumpy for so early in the morning... much like me.

Instead, he was singing to himself, as he leisurely rode up the hill towards Korea University. I couldn't make out what the song was, but he was smiling from ear to ear, while belting the words out with such strength.

It was such a refreshing sight. I must admit it's rare to see the young men and women in my neighbourhood smile so easily.

I couldn't help but wonder what it was that made him so happy. I wanted to run off the bus, chase him down, and inquire. And although I didn't end up doing what I imagine in my mind, I did find myself smiling at 8 a.m. as well -- something that rarely happens, because I'm not quite awake.

So I guess what I'm saying is, thanks, Happy Rider. Your smile certainly was contageous, and just what I needed on this cold, wet, April morning.

xo
SC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...