Wednesday 14 October 2009

Seoul Writing Dates

I've met a kindred spirit, here, in Seoul. She's from Chicago and I'm from Toronto... we had to get ourselves across the world, to meet in a city where we're both equally confused and amused all the same.

This is Sharon on our first coffee/writing date at Holly's Café in Seoul. She never fails to represent Chi-Town wherever she goes. Lest we forget.

Sharon's company has resulted in many ab workouts for me and all those who surround her. Truly, she's a 'what you see is what you get' kind of woman, and if you don't like it, she'd only be too happy to show you the door. I like that about her. I never have to second guess her thought-process. In a country where a lot of people flutter around with hidden agendas, Sharon is a refreshing gem.

Even as we sit her today, on writing date #2, she's managed to make me laugh with some random bursts of questionable grammar and misspelled words. Oh, did I mention she's also a journalist? Amazing times!

Check out her blog... Sharon in Seoul.
________

I'm inching at the two-month mark, here in SoKorea. It's quieter moments like this where I truly start to reflect on my journey so far. To say it's been a shock to the system would be an understatement. I've had to deal with situations and experiences that I never imagined having the strength to put up with. But somehow I have... and I feel I'm better off because of that. Yesterday, a friend of mine said he thought this would be a life-altering experience for me. I think it already has been.

Last weekend I had to experience my first holiday alone - Canadian Thanksgiving. It was the first time I felt pangs of homesickness. I wished I was home celebrating with my family, and simply lounging on the balcony chairs, watching the maple leaves flutter to the ground. Simple pleasures that make life beautiful.

Fortunately, I've met wonderful friends here, who made sure I wasn't alone on a single day throughout the weekend. I spent my time indulging in some amazing Korean food, watching a free concert at City Hall, meeting Sharon for the start of many writing dates, and ... lesson planning. No complains. I'm loving all my experiences here so far... yes, even the confusing and mind-numbing ones.

This Saturday, I will be joining some of the other teachers for a much needed retreat at a Buddhist temple, for 24 hours. I'll certainly write about it and share my experiences with all of you, once I get back.

Till then, lots of love and hugs!

xo
SC

1 comment:

  1. Second tries are never as good as first tries...
    Ummmm.... yeah.... Buddhist temple! It will be awesome and you will have an Eat, Pray, Love moment and become the next Elizabeth Gilbert...
    Also... Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...