Friday 11 September 2009

Unknown Scares

If we can see it, we know we can fight it.

It is the unknown that terrifies us. At least that's how I feel. I know I can devise a plan of action if I can see what I am battling. And watching it progress or regress is a helpful visual... it can strengthen morale and make things clear.

But what happens when you can't see your battle? What if the only way you can understand how the enemy is making it's move against you is through big machines and scanners, with reports that take days to come through?

It's a whole other battlefield... one without guns and grenades. It is one that doesn't require a divisive strategy, but, rather, a mental, physical and emotional sense of oneness, filled with unending hope and optimism.

I read on the news today that Canadian actress Lisa Ray has incurable Multiple Myeloma. She is 37-years-old, and is a constant figure on the Toronto International Film Festival red carpet. She mentioned not too long ago that her goal after making movies such as Deepa Mehta's "Water" and "Bollywood/Hollywood", was to go into action films...

... I guess now she has a bigger battle on her hands.

It's terrifying, isn't it? One minute you're on top of the world, where it seems as though all the stars are aligned in your favour. You know your place on this earth and things just seem... right.

Then, in one fleeting moment, reality kicks in and you realize it's time to stop floating in the clouds and come down to earth to battle the unknown.

Ray said she didn't want to make her battle with the disease public, but, given that very few people know about the severity of Multiple Melanoma, she said she wanted to help draw awareness.

I'm not quite certain why this news affected me so much. I can only hope that her hopes and prayers turn a positive corner.

xo
SC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...