Sunday 9 January 2011

3 happy things

I know this may sound obvious, but the Internet sure has come a long way since the days of dial-up. I remember when the very thought of signing on to the Net was daunting (dial tone anyone?). We had to make sure we weren't expecting any phone calls, and our time was limited -- Mum simply said we could sign on, get what we needed for school, and sign off. We didn't always listen to her, but lately, I can't help but wish for those days... slightly.

Wi-Fi gives new meaning to the phrase 'information at your fingertips.' We're always connected. Even as I write this post, I'm not plugged in. I'm simply relying on the fact that my computer is somehow connected to some server... and that's what's giving me access to the Internet. (Pardon my non-tech speak.) When I sit down and think of the logistics, it's kind of scary.

But, I digress. My point in all of this is that I've had a lot of free time lately to prowl the Internet in search of things that make me happy. I've been straying away from the norms of social-media, in search of inspiration through blogs, photographs and other lovely anecdotes that will jump-start my engine.

Here are three things in life that never fail to bring a smile to my face and a happy burst to my soul.

1. Twinkle lights - I love the romance and ease of soft, mood lighting. Inside, it's the ambiance that comes from the soft glow of a simple lamp in the corner of a room. Give me a comfy chair, a throw, a good book and a cup of tea, and I'll sit in peaceful solitude for hours.

Outdoors, it's a few well placed twinkle lights along a rooftop, or neatly wrapped around the branches of a tree, or setting the mood for a peaceful walk in a park.



2. Couch travel - I think it goes without saying that I'm in this lovely relationship with travel. It's a healthy relationship, but we don't get to spend a lot of time together. But thanks to the Internet, we're able to stay in touch.

I spend a few minutes of each day dreaming of tropical adventures and rendezvous'. I'm drawn to images of warmth and slower paces. One day I'm in Africa... Cape Town, to be exact. I'm at the shore, watching the waves splash as the Indian and Atlantic embrace. But perhaps tomorrow I might try catching the Aurora Borealis in the North West Territories.

One thing's for sure -- my mind and heart are joining together to agree on this one simple point: "Get out there again!" they scream in unison. Someday. Soon. Again.



3. Quotes - This is a constant (and a must) in my daily Internet prowlings. I love words, and when they're woven together in a manner that's sure to make me think, smile or re-evaluate my life, I love them even more. Lately, I've been stumbling across these awesome images with appropriate quotes designed on to them. You'll find my favourite for the week in the Quote of the Week tab, or you can check out Straight From The Curls' Tumblr for more frequent updates.



There you have it. 3 happy things that are a click away. It's like emergency food for my soul. Do you have any guaranteed picker-uppers of your own?





Images courtesy of Google Images

2 comments:

  1. Regarding the second travel photo... if you ever need a personal tour guide of the NWT, you just let me know! I know where all the best northern light photos can happen... just remember to bring a tripod!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...