Tuesday 8 December 2009

Slipping away like the sand to the tide

How's this for a visual: "... slipping away like the sand to the tide..."

It's a line from one of my favourite songs by the Sugababes called Lost in You. You should check it out if you've got time. It's also on the Love Actually soundtrack, (a fabulous movie for the season, I think).

And that's just about how I feel right now...

These past few weeks have been bizarre to say the least. I'm trying to stick to some sort of routine in my life, but the more I try, the quicker that idea gets thrown out the window.

It's strange being on my own. In one sense I've got this amazing amount of independence, not only because I've got my own place, but also because I'm in a country where I'm pretty much alone. Everyone I've met here so far has been a new face, with a new personality (well, some are tried and true), and has come with a new story to tell. It's fascinating and refreshing all the same.

But sometimes... it's exhausting. Having to tell your own story over and over again... it gets exhausting. I've always been a better listener than a speaker. There's only a handful of people who know the depths of my soul... and I like it that way. So having to sit through conversations sometimes with new people who want to know everything about you... well, that starts to take it's toll. Unless, of course, it's a kindred spirit who you want to spill your guts to. And that takes a special someone. Those people are far and few between, but when you meet them... it's like a refreshing sip of iced-tea on a blistering hot summer's day.

There's a handful of travelers that I've met, who get it. They live in the present, focus on the present and enjoy the present. It's these people who are fabulous to speak with. They, in simple terms, manage to put things into perspective so well. Hopefully I'll get to that point someday... where I don't think about the past (apparently the New Year's song Auld Lang Syne is about that... leaving the past, way behind), and don't stress about the future. I've become better, but I know I need to work on it.

In the meanwhile, I'm allowing myself to slip away for a while... why not, right?

xo
SC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...