Tuesday 28 August 2007

High Lights / Lowlights of Summer07

This has been a summer of sensory awakenings. I feel different, I'm seeing things differently, I've tasted things I want more of... and in some cases, less... so much has happened in four short months. I've compiled a list of some of the Highlights and Lowlights in my life, from this summer. I am hoping that by visualizing this list, I will be able to put some things into perspective.

Highlight: Going to Cuba in May, with a few of the best girls I had the opportunity to meet in University. It was such a wonderful and freeing experience to be in a new country for the first time in over 12 years. I was so thankful that I had the chance to experience Cuba, and in particular, Havana, while Fidel Castro was still in power. I am a self proclaimed "cultural junkie" and I couldn't get enough of the history and vibrancy that this country had to offer. I enjoyed the beach a lot, but after having pretty much grown up on a beach, it didn't seem any different than what I already have engraved in my memory. It did however, bring with it a calm and serenity that I had not felt in a very long time, and for that I will always be thankful.

Lowlight: Anxiety attack #1 (May 2007). This came soon after I finished my last exam. I don't think I will ever forget the feeling that took over me as I walked out of my final exam in university (MUS211). Though the sun was shining, I felt impending doom. I know this sounds harsh, but I did not feel the exhaltation that people told me would come after handing in my last piece of work for school. Though I already knew I was going back to school in the Fall, I did not feel any comfort in it. I felt nervous, scared, anxious, terrified and simply -- screwed up! This eventually passed, once I realized that I was closing a chapter in my life... in the hopes of embarking on a new and more exciting one in the Fall.

Highlight: Reading books that I wanted to read during the school year, but couldn't because of the ones I had to finish for my English major. These books include "Like Water For Chocolate" by Laura Esquirel, "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "He's Just Not That Into You" by Greg Behrendt & Liz Tuccillo, "A Hammock Beneath the Mangoes" - short stories from Latin America, "It's a Good Life if you Don't Weaken" by Seth and I am currently trying to get through Dante's "Inferno".... yup! Sometimes I wish I had a Hammock... and two Palm trees.. on my balcony. I get the breeze, all that is missing is the ambience.

Lowlight: Mom's tests at the hospital. These always worry the bajeepers out of me. She's my Mom and I don't like seeing her hurt. That's all on that topic.

Highlight: Discovering Blvd Room. I have never had a bad time at this place. I like the music, and the crowd isn't too bad either. I like that they have a patio, though the smoking isn't so much fun. I just wish the bouncers were nicer here.

Lowlight: Learning the hard way that people are constantly changing -- self included. We wait in constant hope that we may reconnect with those we were once close to... or simply lost touch with for one reason or another. But just as time moves forward, so do we. Sometimes situations happen and those of us who are strong personalities will continue to be consistent throughout. The rest of us are reshaped by these situations and are forced to move forward... sometimes without those whom we started out with in the first place. This isn't such a bad thing. It just hurts sometimes especially if there is a lot of history involved. We don't like to admit it, we don't like to acknowledge it... but sometimes we just have to face reality and move on. There is no point fighting something that really will never change.

Highlight: Going to Niagara Falls for the first time. Yes, it took me over 11 years to visit the Falls, though my family has been numerous times. I don't know why but somehow, I was always left behind (Go on, shed a tear for me). Going to the falls made me realize how small I am. It was a good feeling. I mean, this is one of the 7 wonders of the world!! (I'm still going based on the old list). To know that this is nature's masterpiece, completely floored me. Man can only do so much, before Mother Nature steps in and does what she does best... and sometimes, worst.

Lowlight: Not going to India. I was really looking forward to visiting my family. I haven't seen them in ages, and I have heard of the numerous additions. It bothers me so much that my Father gets to go as often as he likes, but the rest of us have to wait till we can cough up enough money to simply pay for the damn ticket. Ugh. Someday soon.

Highlight: Adopting Ginger from the Humane Society. She has been in this house for two weeks and has adjusted so well. She is a very friendly cat, with an odd sense of humour. I realize though that she is spoiled, and this is coming back to bite us in the butt. We are finally starting to put her on a regular food schedule and aren't as libral with her treats. I think she's getting a little heavy than before. Nonetheless, she's a gem and has truly changed the dynamic of this house.

..... I think I should end it there. For now anyway. They say it's always nice to end on a high note, so there you go.
I've met a lot of new people this summer, and I am so thankful for that. To the people who have been around over the years, I want you to know how much I appreciate you, and don't take you for granted -- though I have a bad way of showing it.
We're one week away from school, new careers, vacations, and so much more. Good Luck to everyone, and I hope you enjoy whatever it is you're doing.

xoXO
-SC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...