Wednesday 10 February 2010

Vacating thoughts

Well, I'm off! It felt as though this day would never arrive, but it's here now, and I don't think it could have come at a better time.

I'm leaving for Thailand this Saturday with S and J. We'll be gone for just over two weeks, with plans to visit Bangkok, Ayutthaya and Krabi (touching on some of the other islands down south as well).

I can't tell you how much my mind, body and spirit needs this vacation. I never imagined wanting to so desperately get away like this... and for the first time, I'm truly understanding the meaning of the term "vacation".

It's this idea of vacating all that's troubling, exhausting and draining. A two-week reprieve from what's expected and what you don't have control over.

I realize that I've visited a different country every year since 2007: Cuba, India, Korea, and now, Thailand. But out of all those trips, only Cuba's been an actual vacation... of the all-inclusive kind. Definitely not my cuppa tea. All-inclusives are easy, no doubt, but there's something about the homogeneity of it that's not settling.

This trip to Thailand is a new experience; one that I'm sure to grow and learn from, for better or worse. Unlike an all-inclusive vacation, I've had to do all the planning with S and J, deciding on everything from where we're staying to what we'll do. It's a great feeling.

But, here's what I'm looking forward to:
  • Hammocks
  • Sweating... (I might regret saying this, but I miss the sun!)
  • Sunsets
  • Warm breezes
  • A possible sunrise or two...
  • Warm ocean water
  • Waking up and not shivering
  • Writing while sinking my toes in the sand and smelling the salty ocean air
  • Having newer and fresher thoughts than I've had in a very long time
  • Inspiration through photography, words, ideas, sights and sounds
  • Leaving the past behind, embracing the present and NOT anticipating the future
I think that's about it for now. Don't worry, I'll update you all on what happens, once I get back. But... I am sad to leave you all for a couple of weeks. It will be hard seeing or experiencing something and not being able to share it with you all right away. But perhaps it's for the best. I'll keep notes of what I want to tell you, and share once I'm back. Promise.

Until then, take care of yourselves! I hope the days ahead will be filled with excitement, joy and abundant inspiration for all of you, in all that you do!

Kho Phi Phi island - Thailand

xo
SC

Images courtesy of Google Images

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...